bridgesitter
Wednesday, February 02, 2005
  lilac wishes

I wrote this a few years ago and just found it in a book. I have alot of such books. A poem here and a poem there. Memories~ dreams~plans & wishes. I have way too much crap around here.

outside my bedroom window
we planted
cucumbers
tomatoes
and daisies

inside
rich green carpet for grass
periwinkle flowers
in my bedroom

sunshine seeped in
she kissed me good bye
six days gone
~1 day on
nurses cap looking down

sewing prom dresses
sister
homecoming queen
barbizon and make up
pedophile's wife

american flag
on the pocket
of my brothers 501's
arrested
truant
trouble again
marijuana down the street
alcoholic
in too deep

me
puking in the bathroom
every morning
ritual
cold pears coming up
mama off to work

in the house
sister smoking
brother joking
underwear on my head

Mary Civetti came to
teach me
how to knit
and not to be alone
and cook us family dinners
chaos reigned
she threw up her hands
and cried
never did see her again

mama
loved See's Candies
chewy orange peanuts
Bridge Mix
being barefoot
on her knees
planting seeds

when we were no longer cute
she took pictures of her pets
her paintings and her plants
she wined and dined her kitty kats
with cream, butter and
albacore

she whiled away the days
cutting
drying~flowers
estate sales and rummaging
stopping on the road
to press flowers in her books
stealing lilacs from the neighbors

serving creamy
sweet coffee
in two handled cups
my children and gingersnaps
aprons on their waist's

mama gave up the fight
of
nursing home
nightmares
breathing machines
and morphine


girls and me
stole the neighbors lilacs
giggled all the way home
filled a vase overflowing
in memorium
aunts and uncles
gone again

crying over dead flowers
and four lonely kats
I sat on her steps
what to do next

while
somewhere
in Mexico
mama mixes
with the wind

 
Comments:
Hi,

That's a sad poem, about your mom right?

Sad, but I liked it! I especially liked the growing things, flowers and planting seeds.

Do you do any rhyming poetry?

Lady Jan
 
Not usually, unless it happens magically. This poem was written soon after my mother died it's a jumble of emotions and memories. I really don't think it's supposed to be understood ~I think just what you said, "sad" it's supposed to convey that~

thanks for commenting Lady Jan, I've been very busy and haven't been blogging very much lately. But it's nice to see some familiar names popping up in comments.
 
Your poem touched me from its title to the font color, which is my favorite color to use in places other than my blog.
Images are very strong. Free verse works well. Memories are a jumble of emotions. YOu still manage to effectively, tenderly, and, harshly, in places, to convey a multitude of recollections.

Early on, it's apparent that you lost your mom (She kissed me good bye), but this is a poem with far more memories than simply death. Planting, growth, cycles of nature and life... I won't muddy the images you paint, by analyzing more. Lilacs remind me of my very early youth: a gorgeous lilac bush when we were poor in money but rich in love. I still love their color, scent, and blossoms.
Take care and keep posting poetry
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
"Though my soul may set in darkness, It will rise in perfect light, I have loved the stars too fondly To be fearful of the night" ~ Sarah Williams

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

"Necessity is the mother of invention, it is true, but its father is creativity, and knowledge is the midwife." ~ Jonathan Schattke

ARCHIVES
December 2004 / January 2005 / February 2005 / March 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / July 2009 /


www.flickr.com
bridgesitter's photos More of bridgesitter's photos

Powered by Blogger