bridgesitter
Thursday, December 30, 2004
  Chasing Ponies My mind seems to dwell alot lately in the hills of the town where I grew up. I grew up in alot of different towns, but just one keeps seeping into my daily activities. Poway. It's an Indian name. I can't remember what it means now, something about a valley. It was surrounded by small hills, of course when I was little they all seemed rather large to me. The hills were empty except for some large boulders and sage brush. Sometimes I can still smell the sagebrush, but it was the combination of the sage brush, the southern California heat that plays heavily with my mind. Everyday I get these sensations. I think because that is when I remember being happiest in my life. Free in the sense that any child should feel free. I was unencumbered with the worries of the world. I just played happily amongst the hills and boulders. On the hill up behind the houses on our street sat a huge green water tower. Somedays we would bring food and hike up the hill and sit in amongst the trees and look down upon our world. Usually though we played close to the fence line that separated the houses from our hills. I was always wanting to play Indians. Never cowboys, though my friend Kay, she was a cowboy wannabe. I always had moccasins, the kind with the leather sole. The little fringe around the ankle with the leather lace. These were all I wore anywhere. They made a certain sound when they touched the ground where you walked. Where other kids might want taps on there shoes, I preferred the muffled sound of leather. Sitting in a patch of sage brush, I'm sure there were other shrubs, I just don't know what they were, but sitting in nest of bushes sat these huge boulders. They were all different shaped, but all were rounded. The largest one we nicknamed Maya. Maya was the elephant in the Tarzan series. But she was our Maya. She had huge rounded shoulders and her ears hung down the sides so you could sit behind them. I probably spent hours on her. Not always riding, but laying on her back soaking up the warm sun. She held the heat and radiated warmth even when the sun went down. We had made little paths in and around all the boulders and had our little campsites, minus the fire, we gathered our make believe berries and lived a quite and peaceful life. There was a long stretch of road, just a dirt road, and we would run this, slapping our sides and making the sounds of running horses. We were always chasing wild ponies. I remember being able to see these horses, I was always trying to catch the wild palamino. Back and forth we'd run on this path. I loved the sound, I loved the sun and warmth, I loved the sweat that rolled down my back as I ran faster. We could play up there all day, and only when the shadows disappeared and voices from far away would call our names did we go back.
 
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
"Though my soul may set in darkness, It will rise in perfect light, I have loved the stars too fondly To be fearful of the night" ~ Sarah Williams

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

"Necessity is the mother of invention, it is true, but its father is creativity, and knowledge is the midwife." ~ Jonathan Schattke

ARCHIVES
December 2004 / January 2005 / February 2005 / March 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / July 2009 /


www.flickr.com
bridgesitter's photos More of bridgesitter's photos

Powered by Blogger