bridgesitter
Wednesday, December 29, 2004
  Missing Minnesota Sometimes I miss Minnesota, of course we haven't been here but for three months. Geez, it's seem a lot longer then that. We left under "extenuating" circumstances, came back here with the hope to start over again. Things didn't go so well when we arrived. The place that I had "secured" for us by answering an on-line ad in this local paper turned out to be another afge "another f---ing growth experience. I think that saying came from one of those twelve step programs. Anyway, we had an afge. While we were in transit, a 1667 mile one, the lady sold the house. Sold the house! We showed up with a 26ft moving van, all the kids and dogs, boyfriends of the kids, I mean we were all there ready to unload. When I knocked on the door, a man answered and explained to me how they had bought the house 3 days before. It's a long story one I don't want to go into. I had already forwarded the mail, I mean I knew what the inside looked like from visiting this ladies site, we talked on the phone 3 or 4 times. I just couldn't believe it. The lady had no scruples. But to bypass all the rest of the story we are settled into a nice little beach cabin, it is little. My daughter has to sleep on the couch, there's only one bedroom. I even had bought dishwashing liquid for my new dishwasher, I haven't had one for over 5 years. Well the bottle sits above my washer and dryer. Someday I think I'll have the chance to use it. But we're pretty content here. We have a wood burning stove, we can hear the buoys out in the ocean when the waves are really turbulent. When we walk down our street a ways we have a very wonderful view. And I'm not far from a huge used book store. Also a bridge. The one I named my blog after. I haven't actually sat on the bridge, but I do like to walk down there and stand and watch the boats come in and out. It's quite a site really because we have the "smallest navigational harbor" in the world, (that's on all the flyers about this town) and the boats have to pass through a narrow passage between rocks and such. Yesterday when I was out walking there was a coast guard helicopter out practicing maneuvers out above the buoy. There have been alot of tourists here lately. Perhaps because it's Christmas vacation, or perhaps to see if the sea has changed. They lined the sea wall taking photo's, looking down at the cliffs. The waves were pretty big and the blow hole was pretty active. I think I started out writing about missing Minnesota and got side tracked again. It happens a lot. I left a good friend when I moved back here. We worked together for a little over a year and we just got a long really well. I don't get along with a lot of people. I just seem to be very aware of games people play. I don't like to waste my time putting up with a bunch of crap from people I don't know. I know I'm burned out. I worked at a very busy convenience store and saw a lot of things and heard a lot of things. My friend, Cheryl, she'd always joke with me, because once I was home you couldn't get me to leave unless I had to work again. We lived out in the country on a nice fenced acre. The river flowed behind our house, and I had a nice flower garden I enjoyed tending. Plus I had all these great dogs. I cover the story of my dogs in another posting. Can't remember which one though. Our house was nothing to brag about, it was a 1967 mobile home. Small also. But it was cozy. Being how old our mobile was it had real wood in it. The shelves in the cupboards were real wood. The paneling was even real wood. It needed work but we were just renting and we had hoped to buy the place and perhaps build a new home. But that didn't work out. Too long of a story. Makes me depressed to write about it. But I did enjoy Minnesota, there were lakes all around us, it was so beautiful. It has a whole different feel to it then the coast. We did have to deal with mosquito's and humidity and wood ticks on the dogs. I guess I mostly miss my friend. She doesn't have a computer so we don't communicate much, but we sneak calls to each other every once in awhile and share a few laughs. Though lately there have been a lot of somber moments on the phone. Her mother was just diagnosed with cancer. Lung cancer, I'm sitting here smoking cigarettes as I write this, but it had already traveled to her brain and spine. It happened so fast. When I was out there we visited all the time because she lived with Cheryl. Now they have hospice set up, family on round the clock watches. It's just so unbelievable. I don't understand why insurance companies won't pay for stop smoking aids. It seems to me they'd save a lot of money if they did. Smoking causes so many health problems. Smoking is more addictive then heroin. It's so hard to quit. Vi, Cheryl's mom, she's still smoking. It's about the only thing she has to look forward to. Cheryl says she gets up in her wheelchair and sits by the window so she can blow her smoke out. I know it's ludicrous, but it's what she wants to do. I made her a pair of fingerless gloves and a nice hat out of an old angora sweater. It actually turned out pretty good. I sent them for Christmas, along with a T-shirt for Cheryl that reads, "because I'm the Queen, that's why". It fits her personality perfectly. She is really a lot of fun. She's part Indian, Ojibwa, she always called me that white girl. Boy she made it clear that she doesn't want to be called white. Cracks me up just thinking about it. Her husband is a full blooded Indian, and she has a son and a daughter, and two grandbabies. Her kids worked at the store as well. One big family. Anyway I've been blabbing for a long time, not even sure if any of this makes any sense. It just feels good to write. I can hear my husband snoring away, my daughter is late coming home and the dogs are splayed out like rugs. It's definitely home. Good night......
 
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
"Though my soul may set in darkness, It will rise in perfect light, I have loved the stars too fondly To be fearful of the night" ~ Sarah Williams

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

"Necessity is the mother of invention, it is true, but its father is creativity, and knowledge is the midwife." ~ Jonathan Schattke

ARCHIVES
December 2004 / January 2005 / February 2005 / March 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / July 2009 /


www.flickr.com
bridgesitter's photos More of bridgesitter's photos

Powered by Blogger