bridgesitter
Saturday, March 19, 2005
  Hold Your Child This Close


9 year old Jessica Lunsford
 
Comments:
Oh, stories like this always give me goosebumps and tears in my eyes. Why does life have to be so cruel?
 
Yesterday I went to the beach with my husband, there was a little boy wandering around and seemed unattended. I couldn't help but keep my eye on him after what happened to Jessica, I also went to the store and noticed a women had placed her newborn on the floor in his carrier while she looked at items. I had to keep an eye on that child too. I wanted to yell at the parents to "keep your child this close" as was quoted by Jessica's dad. Please, I wish all parents would keep one hand or both eyes on their children at all times when in public places. As for children being stolen from their beds in the middle of the night, I don't know. Perhaps alarms set to windows, or bars that could be opened from inside. Am I paranoid, yes!!! I don't think a little paranoia to keep a child safe is a bad thing.
 
The alarms on the windows actually aren't a bad idea. I used to work with developmentally disabled teens and we had those alarms on the doors. They had the minds of babies and could get lost and/or hurt if they wandered off. Anyway, those alarms are cheap and easy to find in stores now. They can be turned off so that your child could have their window open for fresh air during the day, and then turned on at night when the windows are shut and the child is sleeping. If anyone tried to enter then, believe me, you'd hear it!

Not a bad solution, really.
 
I can't say it any better than the 3 of you before. My heart aches, tears flow, books of poetry come to mind....
on a related note, i recall friend, family, and babysitters (whom we did NOT hire), mocking me for being 'overprotective" or "worrying" too much. No words can describe how grateful I am, that my husband, who is laid back, ALWAYS understood and chose to be as cautious as me, implementing the NON paranoid ideas of mine.

People not watching their kids in public places, as well as verbal and physical abuse in public places, in front of my eyes...well i do something about it, as the case may warrant. Chilling. Apathy is not the answer.However, it's not "just the partents" as you know. Every parent has a moment when he/she turns away.
I will not regale stories of that. Yes, we have alarms on our windows BEFORE that kidnapping hit the news.

WE had LOCKS on our windows befor that, before we could afford installing our own alarms. (Now we have ones directly to the police: DIRECTLY: INSTANT)

The locks were in case of kids falling out of windows....
 
Hey Bridgesitter, On a happier note, you have asked to see *** JEWELRY DESIGNS I MAKE- Come to my Site! ***
 
Bridgesitter, I too am deeply disturbed by what is making news these days. I lay most of it at the feet of our judicial system. So long as criminals 'rights' are guarded and those of the victim aren't, we shall continue on our road from a 'Nation of Laws' to a 'Nation of Lawyers'.
 
Very Well Said Cliff!!
 
are you serious? they brought the child to his mother after that? Oh my God, was this in the paper there? I'm flabbergasted. eeeew I don't like that word but it fits.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
"Though my soul may set in darkness, It will rise in perfect light, I have loved the stars too fondly To be fearful of the night" ~ Sarah Williams

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

"Necessity is the mother of invention, it is true, but its father is creativity, and knowledge is the midwife." ~ Jonathan Schattke

ARCHIVES
December 2004 / January 2005 / February 2005 / March 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / July 2009 /


www.flickr.com
bridgesitter's photos More of bridgesitter's photos

Powered by Blogger