bridgesitter
Friday, April 22, 2005
  The Bridge Of Which I Speak Let me first say, that if you click on the title of this post you will be treated to a panoramic view as if you were standing on my very bridge. From there you can go to lots of places on the coast and see what I see everyday. You might find it a little fun.

In my previous post I perhaps led people to believe that the charming bridge picture in my most recent post "my secret place" was my namesake, actually my namesake is this bridge below. This photo was taken during the construction in 1927.



If you look to the top of the bridge and to the left you'll see an old building. That building is still there and houses a famous restaurant called the "Spouting Horn." Below is the bridge on a beautiful day welcoming a charter fishing boat, The Kingfisher. Please excuse the post card image as that's all I could find for now.



Below is a view of the same bridge looking from the harbor side. I'm much more partial to the harbor side of things as I prefer calm waters to the turbulent waves that crash constantly.



This town and bridge were named after William Charles Depoe an Indian Tribal Chief and Judge.



If you
click here you can get a small history of the Siletz Indians who are made up of over 20 original bands. They suffered their own Trail of Tears, thanks again to the United States Government and their Treaties. Also reading Bury my Heart at Wounded Knee gives you a lot of background on the government policies when dealing with Indian Nations. Basically we suck at keeping promises. To put it mildly.


Above picture is Boiler Bay

But that is not what this post is about. I did want to cover a little history though, as history is what makes a place very interesting. Depoe Bay sits between what is known as Boiler Bay, which got it's name from a very large boiler, all that remains of a Schooner called "J. Morhoffer." Apparently the ship caught fire and sank in this small inlet in 1910. If we have an exceptionally low tide you might be able to catch a glimpse of it. To the north is what is lovingly called "Cape Foulweather." Captain James Cook named this spot in 1778 for obvious reasons, but this is where he first glanced American soil. It's been rumored for centuries that there is pirate treasure somewhere in the cliffs along the coast between Boiler Bay and Cape Foulweather. For us locals it means going from sea level to 1099" elevation in 2 miles. In the winter that means going from rain to snow. On the other side of Cape Foulweather is where I do all of my meanderings and errands. When ever I drive over the Cape it reminds me of taking off in a small plane. You see the waves slowly give way to the trees, as if your standing in the middle of a forest, then you tower over those very trees and where, if you wish you can go to the look out post. Then you start your decline where you will be subject to the constant road improvement as this stretch of road is famous for flooding out and sinking into the nether regions. The last time the road sunk people were pointed to a detour that involved three hours of driving as you had to go to the valley before you could come back to the coast.

If you have ever seen the movie Sometimes a Great Notion you will see the area in which I live. The great white house the family lived in sits on the Siltez River and the picnic they have at the beach is Fogarty Creek, which I believe I've written about. This is where my husband takes the dogs after work everyday.

Every year Depoe Bay has a
Salmon Bake, I have yet to go to one but here is a lovely picture to show you what it looks like.



Fresh Salmon and Fresh Halibut are my favorite foods, unfortunately they are also very expensive. But if you ever get a chance to try it, by all means try it. I just love them both cooked in butter with salt and pepper and a squeeze of lemon. Yumm. Now don't mistake farmed salmon for the original as they truly have a different flavor. Also there is a big difference between Atlantic and Pacific Salmon. Choose Pacific if you can.

I think for now I've covered enough information. I will probably add to this at a later date but I have much to do and just wanted to share with you the Bridge of Which I Speak.
 
Comments:
Lots of interesting info! Thx 4 sharing. Hey, I'm typing, so drop on by. I had a blogaversary. I'm waiting & trying not to pout that you're out enjoying the weather instead (as you *should*!) Take care :)
 
Thanks for sharing the history of your town. You live in an interesting and beautiful place!
 
Bridgesitter
Have you ever thought about being a travel agent or working for the chamber of commerce? You should. You have me ready to visit. Thanks for the history and information. You are so right about the salmon as well.
Ralph
 
Hi bridgsitter, I always start to type 'Hi bs' but think better of it. This was a great blog. What beautiful country. I've got to pay more attention to where my salmon comes from. I smoke a lot of it and I've paid zero attention heretofore. Well, if you're not blogging, we'll know you're out sightseeing.
 
I've been there! My parents used to live in Yachats. We love all those towns there.
 
Like Cliff, I've had the urge to shorten to hi "bs", too. ;)
Stopped by to say "HI!." Hope you're enjoying good weather.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
"Though my soul may set in darkness, It will rise in perfect light, I have loved the stars too fondly To be fearful of the night" ~ Sarah Williams

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

"Necessity is the mother of invention, it is true, but its father is creativity, and knowledge is the midwife." ~ Jonathan Schattke

ARCHIVES
December 2004 / January 2005 / February 2005 / March 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / July 2009 /


www.flickr.com
bridgesitter's photos More of bridgesitter's photos

Powered by Blogger