bridgesitter
Friday, June 10, 2005
  Boxes of History I've been going through the many boxes I have recently taken out of storage, and I have alot of crap! There is so much stuff that it's hard for me to determine what goes and what stays. I'm one of those people who save newspaper clippings. I save whole newspapers if the story is relevant to US history. I have every clipping that shows one of my kids or their friends, or teachers, etc....I also have a few boxes of family history in letters. Now mind you my kids aren't interested it this right now, but I really think they will want to know some family history as they start having children of their own. We, meaning citizens as a whole, have been fortunate that the pioneers wrote letters and kept journals. They are a gift and a link to our past. Reading up on the past and the struggles the pioneers endured has always encouraged me and given me hope.

I have letters that my grandmother wrote to my mom, aunts, uncles. I have photo graphs that my grandfather on my dads side took while he was in WWI. Pictures he took all over Europe. I have been the keeper of the history for my family. For some reason I was entrusted at a young age with valuable family pictures, books, newspaper articles, even columns from Dear Abbey for God's sake. I think when the time comes, many, many years from now*, I will pass this all on to Jessie as she is the one who screams the loudest when I swear I'm getting rid of everything. Again I swear that if you could see the stuff you'd be swearing too. Thankfully I have trunks that neatly hide this stuff away. Maya Angelou said: "....No man can know where he is going unless he knows exactly where he has been and exactly how he arrived at his present place". She was referring to Africa here, but I think it pertains to everyone's heritage.


*Little footnote here, I did one of those many cute little tests they have online, you know, "what kind of dog are you? What's your IQ", that sort of thing, and well I'm going to live to be at least 83!

 
Comments:
I have a tendency to save everything too, though I am getting better at sorting the things I want from the things I can toss. But family history is important, and I'm glad you're saving it for your girls. :0)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
"Though my soul may set in darkness, It will rise in perfect light, I have loved the stars too fondly To be fearful of the night" ~ Sarah Williams

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

"Necessity is the mother of invention, it is true, but its father is creativity, and knowledge is the midwife." ~ Jonathan Schattke

ARCHIVES
December 2004 / January 2005 / February 2005 / March 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / July 2009 /


www.flickr.com
bridgesitter's photos More of bridgesitter's photos

Powered by Blogger