bridgesitter
Monday, June 06, 2005
  Enough already.... I'm sitting at my computer, which by the way I've had to move all my stuff again to find the keyboard, you see I'm a very dedicated writer with nothing to write about. I could tell you that the rain is coming down in torrents, the thunder is booming somewhere over the ocean and I can hear the faint bell sound of the beacon off the shore.

I could tell you what, I don't know, I've drawn a blank.

As I sit here I look around I've got the picture of my mother reading to my girls the National Geographic. My girls when they were small at a Christmas program. A picture that has my mother, my sister, me and five little blonde girls at the beach way back in 1991 when we had a crab feed right there on the sand. Have you ever done that? There's a dock in the south end of Lincoln City where you can throw your crab pots out at mid to high tide. In the meantime you've gathered plenty of seawater in the largest canner you can find, and put it on to boil on the fire you've lit with all that driftwood that piles up on the beach. You've got your real butter melting off to the side just waiting for dinner.

I'm here thinking about my cruelty to animal post and I'm about to describe throwing live crabs into boiling water! Eck!! Okay, I'll by pass that but I have to tell you there is nothing like it. The first time I had halibut it was the same way. Ocean caught right at the beach and cooked over the same kind of fire in one of those camping skillets. Wonderful, wonderful.

I love learning about how the first settlers survived in this harsh climate. They call it temperate but if you have no electricity and no plumbing facilities it would be harsh. Reading about Lewis and Clarke and how they survived their first winter on the Oregon coast brings the harsh reality to light. Apparently in their Fort, Fort Clatsop, they remained wet for three months. There was no way to get dry. Even their big fireplace was unable to dry their soaked clothes and the moisture and dampness permeated everything. Just a little FYI.

June is always a gray and drizzly month here. You can almost count on it. I just got a nice sunburn hoping for a tan, I even used spf 30. I thought the next couple of days I'll do what I've been doing outside and maybe get a little color. Then maybe all my freckles with meet and I'll be really dark. So I'm sitting here with this sunburn and the rain in torrents remembering this is how it usually goes. It's like washing your car and then it rains, or the neighborhood cats find your clean car and call it home!

I was just on Aravis' site and she asked the question "where would you go if there were no limits?" Well I immediately answered everywhere! That's where I'd go. I'd love to see the Pyramids, go to Crete, see the Coliseum. I'd love to see the Fjords of Norway, and the fields of Italy. I'd love to go to all those huge museums and spend days with no one breathing down my back to hurry along. I'd love to see the Grand Canyon (Hi!) and ride the mules to the bottom. I'd like to see New England and especially Nantucket that was known as Sperm City, well actually it wasn't known as that, but I've drawn another blank. I know that is where the majority of the Whale hunts started off from that introduced America to a cleaner fuel. I'm just relating facts here I'm not judging anything. Nantucket has a fascinating history. It was probably the only place in America in the early 1800's that allowed women the freedom they had on that Island. Please correct me if I'm wrong because that will mean that I can learn something else.

I can tell you how when I was little I wrote alot of poetry, and I have continued writing to the present. I recently came across some of my poetry from high school and I was so embarrassed for myself. It was dreadful. I had been proud of it at one time. Also in my early 30's I had worked very hard on a children's book. I revised it so many times I think I forgot what it was about. I think the publishers were confused too because I received numerous rejections.

I could tell you how I enjoy spending time with my girls and that we can have so much fun together. We can laugh alot and have serious talks, but we can also be very irritating to one another.

I could tell you how in one month two of my daughters have been in two separate car accidents. They are both doing well, they have some muscle damage going on for which they are getting some PT. They are also dealing with insurance companies. They were both not at fault and at least the insurance companies agree on that. Emily was plowed into by a huge suv while she slowed for a dog on the hiway. Jessie was just starting to go on green when another large suv slammed into her side, the woman was speeding to get someone else off her tail. Jessie had just bought the car and put a brand new radiator in it the day before. I cannot tell you the emotions that went through my body or my reactions to the dreaded phone call, "There's been an accident...." I choose not to go into anything emotional about this. Just relaying the facts ma'am.

Now all four of my daughters have been in car accidents that have totaled their cars. When Anna was 16 and having just purchased her own car, some kid from the highschool without a license and the car owner with no insurance hit Anna head on as she was leaving the school grounds. She still suffers many neck and back problems because of it. Leah was involved in a rear end collision which
was her fault. She was traveling in our tourist traffic and looked away for just a sec, that was all it took. She was so proud of that car. Now I hope it goes without saying that everyone knows how grateful I am that there were no serious injuries, that is why I can't really write about it. I won't allow my mind to go into what if's over this.

See now I will move unto something else. My brother's birthday was May 23rd. I do not know how old he is or what year he was born. I think I blocked all that stuff when I told him I could not see him anymore. The same with my sister. I can not see her anymore either, I think I would like too, but I'm not sure how it would go. So I don't allow myself to think about that either. I don't know where either of them are or even if they are alive. I will move onto something else now.

Okay lets see. There is property for sale all around our little cabin here. There are two lots across the street from us that are very tiny and homes would be almost right on top of each other should they be built. They sold the lot behind our house, it's zoned commercial, I have no idea what is going in there. The people to the west of us have decided to build their dream home now. Why after owning it for over 30 years huh? Up until now it's just been a lot with overgrown blackberries and brush. Untrimmed trees, no lights and no noise.
I think pretty soon it will feel like what I imagine Grand Central Station to feel like. I might even like to go there. I don't know.

Once again, I'm down the road kickin' rocks...
 
Comments:
Your post tonight reminded me of the way my mind so often works. I either can't or won't focus on some things in depth, at least on my blog.

I'm so glad your daughters are safe. I have been in a couple of car accidents resulting in back and neck problems, and can understand what you meant. But you're all safe and well.

The beach sounds lovely, and the life of the early settlers doesn't! Your complexion and mine seem similar. My skin has two shades, not including freckles: fish-belly white, or sunburnt. I tell everyone that my freckles glow in the dark when I'm burnt. Your vacation sounds wonderful! Randy lived on Nantucket for a summer and took me for a tour there one day during our honeymoon. It's beautiful, and I hope you have the chance to see it for yourself some day. Otherwise, I want to see the same things you do. As for writing, all I'll say is that again we're very similar. I've shared some of my awful early writings on my blog. I save everything and it cracks me up later.

Finally, when it comes to your family all I'll say is *HUG* and let you know I'm always willing to listen.

You're a pretty wonderful woman, Pamela.
 
Thanks Aravis it's very nice to know that you can write what you feel and have people think you're wonderful, sometimes anyway. You were a great boost to my discouraged soul.
 
Bridgesitter
Really enjoyed this post. I thought I was the only one who mind raced down several highways at the same time only to stop when I didn't want to go any further.

The rain will pass, it always does. Seems like here it is only raining on the weekends. During the week blue shies and sunshines.
Ralph
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
"Though my soul may set in darkness, It will rise in perfect light, I have loved the stars too fondly To be fearful of the night" ~ Sarah Williams

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

"Necessity is the mother of invention, it is true, but its father is creativity, and knowledge is the midwife." ~ Jonathan Schattke

ARCHIVES
December 2004 / January 2005 / February 2005 / March 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / July 2009 /


www.flickr.com
bridgesitter's photos More of bridgesitter's photos

Powered by Blogger