bridgesitter
Wednesday, June 08, 2005
  flowering frenzy
Rose Lake Yard

I really love this picture. I might have written about this on another post but the picture is something I don't mind looking at over and over again. Though our yard at the time was very small, every inch was growing flowers. I wanted to bring my idea of a wild English Garden to life. I loved having the Zinnia's blooming in all the many colors. The Morning Glory's I let loose to go and do what they wanted. We put in a arbor made of skinny tree trunks, alder I think they were. The Morning Glory's loved it. I planted Lavender, English Daisy's, huge Sunflowers, I think they grew to 8' or more. There were Forget-Me-Not's in with the bright orange Marigolds, the list goes on and on.

The flag we put up on September 11th, 2001 and it always flew. We put the little fence up too. When we moved there, people were parking their snowmobiles right under the window of the living room. I needed my space so up went the fence. I wanted to paint it purple, but the landlord said no. We settled on a light, very light lavender. I ask you what could be more natural and more beautiful than a pansy purple fence? The color combination is absolutely beautiful. Our cabin, house was across the street from beautiful Rose Lake. I loved seeing the glistening water each day, or watching the lake freeze. I even drove out on it one time, until I found out that the Lake was about 119 feet deep in that spot. I thought I should drive with the doors open to catch me should I fall in the ice. Scary!!!.

The landlords had a dock out for all their tenants. It used to be vacation cabins but they turned nicely into small rentals. Our rent was cheap, real cheap. We lived there 3 years. I used to waitress at a restaurant that was about 500 yards down the road. It was called Spanky's. Great name huh? It was a huge log cabin that was built in the 1920's with two fireplaces. I worked there for 3 years. The girls would come out from Oregon, Leah and Jessie and Emily would all come out at different times and all took turns living with us. Anna just came for visits. But we had a lot of fun there.

I had great neighbors too. When we moved away and drove by occasionally we noticed that they let all the flowers die. They let them dry up turn gray and fall to the ground. The bachelor buttons would have none of that. They kept coming back year after year.

I think I have too late a start to bring this yard to life like that. It's just as small but things are different now. The yard is lined with big black pots carrying the plants we took with us from Minnesota, not from Rose Lake, but from our "adventure" on the Ottertail River. When I dig down in this soil I come to clay and rock, not very conducive to plant growth.

I think I'm off to bed a bit earlier tonight. I'm reading The DaVinci Code, I want to see what everybody's talking about. Knights Templar? Secret Code? Leonardo DaVinci? Should be interesting.
 
Comments:
Your old garden was lovely. As for your yard now, what about some raised flower beds instead?

It took me a while to read The DaVinci Code as well. I'd be interested to hear what you think about it when you're finished. :0)
 
Bridgesitter
Nice yard! I have to tell you - I think I like the lavender fence better than a purple one.
Ralph
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
"Though my soul may set in darkness, It will rise in perfect light, I have loved the stars too fondly To be fearful of the night" ~ Sarah Williams

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

"Necessity is the mother of invention, it is true, but its father is creativity, and knowledge is the midwife." ~ Jonathan Schattke

ARCHIVES
December 2004 / January 2005 / February 2005 / March 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / July 2009 /


www.flickr.com
bridgesitter's photos More of bridgesitter's photos

Powered by Blogger