bridgesitter
Sunday, June 05, 2005
  I guess I asked for it: Down below are some of the responses I received from people that I sent an email to that contains the letter below from an earlier post. This letter I copied from the website for the prevention of animal cruelty.

The reason this is a concern to me is because we had to find a home for my daughter Jessie's Rottweiler, she has been working far too many hours and leaving Kane alone. He is a very social animal and needed to be where there was someone around. Also trying to rent a place with a Rottweiler is near impossible, because I'm home alot I chose to find a home for him. This was very hard to do because Kane was a member of our family. I wanted to make sure he went to a loving home. So I posted an ad on Craigs list with pictures and my requirements for his new home. I had lots of responses, some were emails informing me of the strong possibility that people might want Kane for dog fighting because he is a Rottweiler. This horrified me to no end. But I was also very grateful that someone took the time to let me know something that I was very naive about.

Like I said I had many responses, but when I emailed back asking if they would let me come to their home and meet them, and see how Kane interacted with them, I never got a response back. One person emailed about a week after I had given up asking if Kane was still available. They were very nice, we went to meet them at their home outside of Portland. Kane loved them right away. He was running and playing, they were firm and gentle. The man was retired and wanted a dog for a companion. We were very fortunate that Kane found such a home, and that these two people really wanted him. I was not aware that many people get these "free to good home" animals and sell them to labs for testing, etc.....So please forgive me if I feel a little shocked and saddened by some peoples responses, I didn't expect the negative.....I am still naive. I have deleted their full names and email addresses for obvious reasons.

From: "Rebecca C"......
Subject: RE: craigs list ad
Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2005 20:37:59 -0700

You crazy bitch, what kind of person does those kinds of things to an inocent animal. A psycho. I am just merly trying to make some person happy with a "FREE" pet. She has all of her shots and is spayed. Which cost me money for the vet bills. I just want her to go to a good home. Just in case you are as dumb as you sound "GOOD" means you DON'T HURT THE CAT.....

If I find anyone or if you have done any of those crule things to any animal, I will do much worse thing to them..."SMILE"

BTW she was found by me starving on the street, so weak that she couldn't even stand. I fed her, gave her a home, took her to the vet and I have tried my best to take care of her. Unfortunately because she does not like my cats, which I adopted 2 from the humane society and the 3rd was found at 10 weeks old in a dumpster, I should find her a new home that can take care of her better then I can. They are all neutered as well.

I KNOW how to screen, contract and follow up on her. I just want to find her a home where they can provide her with a more comfortable life. She is not happy with my other cats. And she has problems with her back legs/hips. Because of her age and the fact that she has only a few teeth and she has trouble with her legs/hips she would be put down at the animal shelters. I am able to take care of my own and I don't need my time wasted by some "high and mighty, I'm better then you" person.

So, if you are worried about BYBs then do what I do and help report them to the humane society, don't support them, encourage friends and families to adopt rather the purchase a pet and just try to help the animals. Don't spend your time harrassing people.

Fuck you for wasting my time!

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Shawnamarie
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2005 23:08:59 EDT
Subject: Re: your craigs list ad

Thank you for the time to send this on to me Pamela, I work with rescues and fosters for both cats and dogs and will try to use some of my resources to find a place for this girl before she actually needs to be rehomed yet again. Shawna

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"What ever" pixie
Subject: Re: craigs list ad

Pamela,
Although I understand your trying to do a good deed, you have assumed quite a bit about my care for animals. I have been rescuing cats for 15 years and ALL have been spayed or nuetered. Taking an animal to the an animal shelter is against my better judgement especially if it's an adopt or be killed in 3 days (such as the SPCA.) Yes, there are no kill shelters however you show me one that is receiving cats at this moment and I'll be right there with this cat. I took this cat in as a favor to a friend and I can longer keep the cat because I already have two of my own and I will be evicted if I don't find a home for this cat quick. And by the way this cat is spayed. So with all your preaching do you know of a no kill shelter any where near the northern part of Oregon who is not themselves about to go under because they don't have the means to resources to keep them going? Enlighten me please!
P.S. I have done catch and release of feral cats (catch to spay or nueter & then re-release) at my own expense for more than 20 some odd years.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"you know.....
Subject: Re: craigs list ad

Yes I've read this before and I do visit the homes for
up to a year after I let someone have one of my pets.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"sneezy.....
Subject: RE: craigs list ad
Date: Sat, 04 Jun 2005 11:37:21 -0700

Please don't e-mail me again--how I choose to get rid of my animal is
none
of your business.

What do you think? Did I do a bad thing by sending this email to those offering free pets?
All I wanted to do was to perhaps save one animal from going into the wrong hands. That's all.
 
Comments:
Perhaps they feel guilt over not keeping the animals, or for not caring the way they should about what happens to them. Know that your heart was in the right place and you did what you could. They are the ones with a problem, not you. *hug*
 
OUr paper here lets you list animals free to a good home for free. But there's a huge disclaimer on it stating that if you list your pet for free here, there is a likelihood of unsavory characters who may want them for not nice things.

It's very scary to find an animal a home! I adopted our last dog and those people were extremely suspicous of us until they came to the home, met the family, checked out the yard, etc.

I didn't mind it in the least!

So glad you found the dog a home you're comfortable with.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
"Though my soul may set in darkness, It will rise in perfect light, I have loved the stars too fondly To be fearful of the night" ~ Sarah Williams

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

"Necessity is the mother of invention, it is true, but its father is creativity, and knowledge is the midwife." ~ Jonathan Schattke

ARCHIVES
December 2004 / January 2005 / February 2005 / March 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / July 2009 /


www.flickr.com
bridgesitter's photos More of bridgesitter's photos

Powered by Blogger