bridgesitter
Tuesday, July 19, 2005
  What a Concept! I've been reading the Detroit Lakes Minnesota Newspaper and reading up on what's been going on there as that is where I lived before I moved here. Detroit Lakes is in Becker county and if anyone's been following the news you'll know that Judge Thomas Schroeder who "slapped" that Duncan character with a $15,000 bail is from Becker County. Before I moved to Becker County I was living in Fargo which is an hour west of Detroit Lakes. I even lived on 7th St. North. Very close to where this Duncan character had been residing at the time and posting to his wonderful blog called The Fifth Nail. (This link takes you to Duncan's busy month before the Idaho slayings, reported by the DL Police) This area was also the home of numerous schools, and not far from the local swimming pool. While scanning the online newspaper, I always go to the letters to the editor section, this is where I found the following letter:

Is surgical castration the answer for sex offenders?
I am wondering why people aren'’t talking about surgical castration as the monitoring device for these level 3 sexual predators? Why spend money on tracking these violators? They can take off ankle bracelets and law enforcement can take time looking for them when they move to another area, or society can keep them in confinement indefinitely which costs a lot of money.
If their sexual ability is taken away, their urge to commit these acts on children and others would not happen. (And pardon me, but the ACLU can stay out of the argument to defend these low lifes.) I'’m sick and tired of all the rights society gives criminals. What rights do the children and victims of rape have? They have to live with thoughts of what was done to them when they were assaulted. This is a life sentence for these victims. If these violators do go to prison and have had this surgery, they won'’t be having sex in prison with other inmates and the risk of sexually transmitted disease could be eliminated and the best part is — our tax dollars won'’t be spent buying and distributing condoms at least in these cases. What a concept! Carol S---e, Frazee

I have a friend who, if it's possible, has stronger convictions then I do regarding the treatment of these sub-humans, A bullet to the back of the brain immediately! Now I like that concept!
 
Comments:
As the victim of rape, I can certainly understand this reaction. But I would not advocate for it. The problem I have is that this is permanent, and if the wrong man is convicted, you can never make things right again.

There's chemical castration, and I'm more interested in that. They're using it already in France with some success. It's still early days yet, though.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
"Though my soul may set in darkness, It will rise in perfect light, I have loved the stars too fondly To be fearful of the night" ~ Sarah Williams

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

"Necessity is the mother of invention, it is true, but its father is creativity, and knowledge is the midwife." ~ Jonathan Schattke

ARCHIVES
December 2004 / January 2005 / February 2005 / March 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / July 2009 /


www.flickr.com
bridgesitter's photos More of bridgesitter's photos

Powered by Blogger