bridgesitter
Saturday, January 22, 2005
  Everynight when I go to bed I have to read. Now earlier I stated that this is how I do my traveling. Well the last couple of nights I've been traveling inside Joel Saltzman's brain. I'm really not that familiar with all of who he is, but I have been reading one of his books and learning a great deal. Beside all of his other lesson plans, last night was about rewriting. All great authors let their writing sit and steep for a while like a good cup of tea, then they go back and cut and shred all that they have written so their words flow easily from the page to the readers mind. He stated how a good author can make writing seem effortless, when in actuality they have worked very hard, spending hours on sentences just so you and I can get the right message. Also a point that I was particulary fond of was how everyone holds within themselves the ability to be a great writer but the ones who patiently and tirelessly rewrite are the ones who stand out. Here are a few quotes from some famous authors about rewriting:

I think the last could be updated by inserting "delete button" where wastepaper basket is. But who am I to edit Isaac Singer. He was one of my mother's favorite authors.

I know I have lots of work to do. I am not in the rewriting stage yet, I'm still trying to get all my tea into the cup. But my goal right now is to write and write and write, even if it seems I have nothing to say. And even if what I say is said badly. The very exercise of writing is my goal. So if anyone reads my "stuff", I'm not finished yet.




 
Comments:
bridgesitter

GREAT WRITING! I struggle with writing myself. I have read a lot of books on the subject and two have had a great impact on my style and content. I'll try and find them so I can get you the exact title.

Thanks for your comment today. Funny you mentioned the number of toothbrushes. I just finished a post I will be putting up tomorrow that talks about choices.

Ralph
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
"Though my soul may set in darkness, It will rise in perfect light, I have loved the stars too fondly To be fearful of the night" ~ Sarah Williams

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

"Necessity is the mother of invention, it is true, but its father is creativity, and knowledge is the midwife." ~ Jonathan Schattke

ARCHIVES
December 2004 / January 2005 / February 2005 / March 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / July 2009 /


www.flickr.com
bridgesitter's photos More of bridgesitter's photos

Powered by Blogger